Monday, December 17, 2007

I'm Missing the Christmas Craft Gene

I've been absent from the blogosphere for a bit, but I've got a really good reason. You know those elves you hear about this time of year... the ones that are hard at work, laboring to make Christmas merry for all? Well, I'm one of them!

I'm about ready to share part of my secret life with you: Every year, from October to December, I put on my candy hat and go to work at See's Candies. Usually, I'm one of the phone elves, taking orders and checking them twice. But last week, I took part in one of the more labor-intensive parts of the job... making gift bags.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketCheck out these happy Santas. I bagged and bowed about 75 of these fellows, including the ones you see here. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not naturally gifted in the art of bow tying. You should have seen me struggle just to get them to look decent. No, I take that back, no one should have to witness such a thing!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Some people have a knack for it, though. Perhaps there's a crafty, basket assembling, bow tying gene that is absent in part of the population. Take my friend Beth. See how happy she is, standing in our stock room, making beautiful baskets! Beth truly has the crafty gene.

I'm curious... how many people out there consider themselves truly crafty? If you're one of them, I'd love to know what you're making to deck the halls.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I can get massive amounts of things done but I'm not creative about any part of it - call me quantitative but not qualitative!

Now Chrissy is crafty. She was making scrapbooks before "Scrapbooking" was invented. And that other Jennifer is *totally* crafty, with everything from a sewing machine to a paintbrush to a miter saw. Yeah. I can spell miter saw, I think.