Friday, July 10, 2009

I don't think this song means what you think it means...

I was standing in line at Target today when a family got behind me. The little girl had some kind of portable music player, and not the kind with headphones. This player shared music with everyone around her. And she was singing along at the top of her lungs. It might have been cute if it wasn't for the song she was singing: Barbie Girl.

This bubbly little ditty was released by the alt-group Aqua in 1997. But just because it has Barbie's name in it doesn't mean they're singing the praises of the doll. For a sample, here's the chorus:

I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic.
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere.
Imagination, life is your creation.
I ask you, is this something you'd want your eight-year-old daughter belting out in Target? Thank God I have an almost-grown-boy-child. He's more apt to break into a Weird Al tune or selections from Spamalot. Now that's something I can sing along to!

No comments: